Museum of National history
The museum of Mongolian History is located in the very center of Ulaanbaatar. It was founded in 1924 and contains some of the oldest collections in the country. It houses more than 40,000 archaeological, historical, and ethnographic objects. The ten galleries show Mongolian history and culture from the dawn of humanity to present day. The rare and esteemed displayed items include the remains from the Hunnu period (the first Mongolia state) of 3RD B.C. to 1ST A.D. There are also intriguing signs of human remnants from the early stone and bronze ages. Taking the tour gives one a clear insight on the developing stages of early Mongolia and well into modern times.
Museum of Natural history
The museum was open in 1924 named under “National museum”. Had natural, traditional and archeological findings some of them dating back to Hunnu period unearthed by a Russian academy of science lead by scientist P.Kozlov and historical exhibits. Later, in 1926, the museum was enriched by archeological findings related to dinosaur researches excavated by American Natural history museum expedition lead by a traveler Roy Chapman Andrews. In 1954, the museum was given a building, where the museum is presently in by the Mongolian Government in connection with 30th anniversary and renamed “State Central museum”. In 1992, the museum was again renamed to Natural History Museum becoming specialized in exhibiting nature related findings and resources. Nowadays, the museum has geological, geographical, biographical, pale ontological and anthropological sections.
The Natural history museum is the oldest public museum in Mongolia. In 1924, the museum opened to the public.
The Zanabazar Museum of Fine Arts
The museum was named in honor of the first Mongolian Buddhist leader, Bogd Khaan (a gifted painter, sculptor, linguist and architect). It opened in 1966 and shows Mongolian art work from the Paleolithic Age (early stone age) to the early 20th century.
Mongolia, known as the land of rock paintings, has well over 200 historical rock painting sites. Three types of prehistoric rock carvings and paintings can be seen:the Paleolithic (40,000-120,000 ago), Neolithic (8000-4000 ago) and Bronze Age.
Bogd Khaan Palace Museum
The Bogd Khaan Museum, originally winter palace of the last king as of pre-Revolutionary Mongolia, named Bogd Javzandamba Agvaanluvsan 8th, was built in the area of the Temple of Mercy, between 1893-1903. This king was born in 1869 in the family of a Dalai Lama's vice-dignitary in a palace called "shodda". In this palace of Lhasa (Tibet) lived people of high social class - Bogd Agvaanluvsan was only 5 years old when he was proclaimed as the supreme religious leader. He died in 1924. The museum consists in two ensembles: the first includes the Temples and Monasteries and the second is the Winter Palace. Inside the home is the Bogd Khaan's ornate ger covered with snow leopard skins. The main gate to the temple was made without a single nail.
Choijin Lama museum
Built between 1904 and 1908, this museum was originally a temple for the younger brother of the last Bogd Khaan, the political and religious leader of Mongolia. It houses, among other works of art, an impressive collection of masks and costumes formerly used in the religious dances called "TSAM". There are many original wooden and bronze statues of various gods; some created by Zanabazar, the famous Mongolian sculptor.
The Fine Arts G. Zanabazar Museum
The Fine Arts G. Zanabazar Museum was founded in 1966. The museum is renowned for the works of G. Zanabazar (1635-1724), which includes statues of Sita Tara, the Five Dhayani Buddhas and the Bodhi Stupa. The Fine Arts Museum was named after Gombodorjiin Zanabazar in 1995. It has 12 exhibition galleries covering the arts from ancient civilizations up to the beginning of the 20th Century. Initially opened with over 300 exhibits, the Museum rapidly enriched the number of its objects, with the modern arts becoming a separate division in 1989 as an Arts Gallery.
State central library
Built in 1946-1951. Ancient Sutras and other old manuscripts are exhibited.